Climbing wall association
Climbing Wall Association, Inc. (CWA), a non-profit corporation, sponsors the “Climbing Wall Instructor certification program” (CWI). The purpose of the certification program is to establish a voluntary certification for climbing instructors and a uniform set of performance standards that can be easily adopted worldwide.
The primary goals of the CWI Certification program are:
1. To increase the level of professionalism in indoor climbing;
2. To improve the level of consistency and competency in indoor climbing technical instruction;
3. To define a consistent standard of care for climbing instructors in the following areas:
a. client orientation and instruction;
b. teaching general climbing skills including movement;
c. teaching proper belaying techniques;
d. teaching proper leading techniques;
e. teaching proper equipment care and use;
f. proper facility use, care, and inspection; and
g. emergency procedures;
4. To evaluate the technical skills of climbing instructors;
5. To provide candidates with guidance for further professional development.
6. To provide a means of promoting consistency and quality assurance in climbing instruction for the benefit of the public.
The CWI certification program focuses on education, review and skills evaluation of individual candidates using consensus performance standards developed by leading professionals in the field of climbing sports which have been subjected to public review.
The course is 8 to 12 hours and includes, but is not limited to, the following:
• Assess pre-requisite skills;
• Professionalism and the role of a climbing wall instructor;
• Risk management;
• Equipment Management: selection, care, use, inspection;
• Facility management: facility tour, facility care, routine facility/wall inspection;
• Patron orientation and training;
• Auto belay device management;
• Top rope climbing and belaying;
• Lead climbing and belaying;
• Bouldering and spotting;
• Emergency procedures;
• Evaluation of candidates’ skills;
• Individual candidate interviews, review of report card;
• Course feedback and evaluation by candidates.
If you wish to take this course, or are interested in setting up a certifications for a group, please contact Red Rock Adventure by clicking the button below.